Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Honestly - it really DOES become a way of life ...

It's that time again - in a few short weeks Michelle Bridges 12 week body transformation will begin again, and of course this brings a heap of new friends to her Facebook page seeking information.

I remember those early days on the challenge. It was so overwhelming. Honestly, some days it all felt like a bit too much and I wasn't sure I would be able to do it. Add to that the fact that I had FAILED at so many diets before ... I was feeling very overwhelmed.

Today I can stand and look back and say it really does become a way of life. Right now this is honestly the easiest "diet" (and it ISN'T a diet) I have ever done. It is just a part of my every day.

I thought I would take the time to share a few things I have learnt so far.

  1. You can do this. Trust yourself and your body. You are capable of greater things than you ever imagined. But you have to BELIEVE in yourself and ALLOW yourself to achieve them.
  2. Trust Michelle. She speaks sense. I know. I have run this program past doctors, health & fitness industry professionals and my husband (a dietitian). This program works because it makes sense. It will not hurt you. It is balanced. But it only works if you do it. So stop thinking of all the doubts you have and just trust for a while. It will work. Don't overanalyse.
  3. The mindset lessons are the key. This is why this program is different. Where else do you get 4 weeks preparation before you even start a program? Where else do you get support in the form of bi-weekly videos that speak to the things in your psyche that have let you down over and over again? You NEED to do the mindset work. Watch the videos. Take part in the live chat. Rewatch it again during the week. Take notes. Download them as podcasts. Listen to them again. Go back to earlier lessons when you are struggling. This stuff works. This is what changes lives. It is hard work but oh so worth it.
  4. Speaking of the preseason - do IT. Do not rush it. Put your all into it. At the time some of it may seem airy fairy. But there will come a stage when you are halfway through that the goals you made are the very thing holding you to the program on a tough day. Or that the commitment and handshake you made keeps you going. The preseason work builds you a strong foundation for the program. I say it again. DO IT. and revisist it. A lot. I will be doing it all over again this time - and will be putting more time into it.
  5. Don't stress over the menu. Seriously. In the beginning it seems all you think about is food. But now, 15 or so weeks down the track, I find I am barely thinking of food. Mish has taught me well. I know that each meal is 300 calories, and I have a good stable of favourites that I can pull from without thinking. I know what my snacks are and what I can have. I just do it. Unless I am going out food is just Robot mode for me.
  6. Do the weekly suprises. I didn't do them all. Wish I had. Don't have regrets!
  7. You are not going for a walk. You are not exercising. You are training. Mish uses this word over and over again. Put your all into it. Believe you can do better than you ever thought possible. You are going to train 6 days a week for the rest of your life. Get over it. And set big goals. It is such a RUSH when you achieve them.
  8. When she gets you to write your goals down, do it. Then cross them out and make them bigger. You can achieve more than that. You really can.
  9. Take photos. Keep a diary. Blog. Whatever. You are going to wish you had if you didn't
  10. When the forums open - get active on them. Answer posts. Write questions. Use the forums, facebook and twitter to get support. This is massive in the success of this program! It is the power of the group! We are family. We leave no one behind. But you have to reach out to get help first!

And above all - give it 120%. It is only 12 weeks of your life! You will never regret giving it your all - not for one minute! Aim high and go hard! It's fun!

6 comments:

  1. Thank you Katherine - this is very helpful and very motivating :-) I'm looking forward to Round 1 2011 and to chatting with others in the forum :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the heads up, it really does help! At the minute my head is still spinning from the excuses task :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kath, just started following your blog. Great advice...I feel a bit calmer now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kath, first time reader here... found the link to this post on the 12wbt forums. Great information here - very motivational! Can't wait to get started.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I needed this so much today, you have bought me to tears.........thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Katherine,
    I found your blog after joining Round 2 12WBT this morning. You inspired me to create a blog even before I read this post.
    As for 12WBT I will do this. I can do this. I will give it my all.
    Thank-you.
    http://fig12wbt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete