Saturday, January 29, 2011

To my new friends on the 12 week challenge

Good morning!

If you are new I wanted to write directly to you this morning. You see - it was only 4 months that I was new too. And I remember how much it freaked me out!

Everyone seemed part of a family already. Everyone seemed to know what they were doing. And they were fit! And I wasn't. I mean I really really wasn't fit. I couldnt even jog around the block.

I truly wondered what I was doing.

I guess that means that right now I am one of those really annoying, kindof overwhelming people I write about. You are just finding your feet, and I guess at times my posts here, on facebook and online might make you feel like you are not in the right place right now. Which is why I wanted to write directly to you.

You are TOTALLY in the right place! We all know Mish talks about excuses. Remember. This is your journey - not mine. Where do you want to be in 12 weeks? It may not seem possible, but you could be posted incredible gains (or losses!) too!

Remember also- that all Mish asks us to do is do what she says. She knows what works. She has done it for years. We arent to mix and match. We just do what Mish says.

For those of us who have been around a while that is exactly what we are doing. She would kick our hide if we stopped doing what we had been taught just because the season ended. And because we are doing what we were told we are still shocking ourselves at times with the results. Hence the over enthusiastic posting at times!!

But my friend. THis is your first 12 week challenge. Mish doesnt expect you to be doing he exercise program in a huge way yet. She doesnt even expect you to diet yet (although starting to eat healthier and starting to move a little will make it easier on you later)

What she wants you doing right now is working those pre season tasks hard. That is your job right now. It's blinkers time. Focus on those goals. Focus on those excuses. Focus on the fun tasks coming.

Look at the other posts as inspiration. Maybe use them to set some 12 month goals. Rememeber to aim big.

But don't be disheartened my friend. You are exactly where you are meant to be at this moment in time. Once the season starts you will be led hand in hand by simple steps. But don't let worry or fear or anything take you away from the person you can become. You really can lead an extra ordinary life! And this can be the start!!

My favourite quote - and my mantra on this journey is
"The miracle is not that I finished.
The miracle is that I had the courage to start"
John (The penguin!) Bingham

Have that courage. You just need the courage to start my friend.

Let me know how I can support you. I want to.

Hang in there!

It's going to be an incredible ride. I promise!

Kath

16 comments:

  1. kath, thanks so much for this post! there is so much info to take in & so much happening on the forum that at times it does make my head spin. reading this helps me see I'm doing what I need to be doing right now. thnx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not new but thought I would read your blog anyway and I agree with everything you have said!
    If there is anything I can do to support any of the new 12wbters let me know!

    Good luck to everyone on their journey!
    Do your best that's all Mish asks
    xx Bev

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much kath for your insight - yes, everyone knowing so much on the blogs and forum, I feel I'm lagging behind. Over the last 3 days I have been better with my food, have exercised and have tried to sit and believe the idea that I can change. I will keep going...I can do this... with everyone's help x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow thanks so much for this it is exactly what I needed to hear - I was getting overwhelmed with it all. Congratulations on your progress thus far you are a real inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Kath. We have already introduced ourselves, but I wanted to tell you how much your above letter has helped ease my fears. I was feeling very much like a 'fish out of water' and am still abit worried that I'll miss something important because i'm in the wrong forum etc. Thanks again Kath and I look forward to sharing my journey with you. Ollie63

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to following your progress over the next 12 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a newbie but I am taking inspiration from those who have already done previous rounds. I'm not a big poster (I am trying) and kind of just stalk but I love reading posts such as yours Kath. Thank you so much for understanding and being there as it can be quite a scary time - 1st time in. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Kath for this letter. I know I have avoided some of the other sections (lean & strong etc) for fear of feeling too overwhelmed, but have honestly found the 2010 members such an inspiration, and more than willing to share their knowledge....

    And of course, this extends to you in particular!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kath,
    Thank you for taking the time to do this. I am new,I have been trying for 7 years to loose 20kg.Lost 10 & have put it back on )-:
    I have to admit I am scared & nervous.
    Will my ankle hold up? How am I going to fit exercise in? How do I train on my own? Everyone else has a PT or goes to a gym?
    I am alone on this journey. My husband does not support or encourage me, He is over it as I have tried everything before..
    Thanks again. I feel a little bit better
    Hayley

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hayley - I so hope you come back and see this! I didn't join the gym till week 6. I was too scared to. I had 28kg to lose. I don't have a personal trainer (except mish) - my husband does now support me ... but he thought it was anotehr one of my harebrained ideas.

    But I did it. Just listen to mish. Do you what you are told. And stay in touch. WE are your supporters! We want you to WIN!

    Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow this is such a great post! Thankyou so very much for this!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kath I know this is an older post but I am just getting sorted to start 12wbt rd 2 my first one. I have had a shocker of a day today doubting it would be possible for me to lose weight - I like you have fertility problems and also thyroid problems and rarely have the right hormones in my body which can cause slow weight loss - I was getting disheartened by this today thinking I would not be able to lose weight like everyone else. After reading this I realise I just have to do what I can and try my best make it my journey and not compare myself to others. Thanks for the inspiration. I hope I can turn this day into a good one now. Cheers Nat

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Kath for making us feel comfortable. Although I do have a saying "Be Comfortable about being uncomfortable" because in order to move forward we will always be out of our comfort zone.
    Thankyou for slowing the butterflies down:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow you hit the nail right on the head. I am a 12WBT newbie and have logged on for the first time tonight to suss it all out and all pumped to be getting involved and into the pre-season tasks. Task 1: Introduce yourself and post some words of encouragement on other's intros. Easy enough!....until I saw the sheer number of posts! Overwhelmed is an understatement. And then there's the blogs and forums and not just one forum but many forums. HHmmm...maybe this is not for me!??!!!
    I am focused on this and dedicated to making this program work for me so rather than taking the easy way out and turning the computer off I'm sticking with it, overwhelmed and not understanding blogs/forums/threads and all! :)
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Kath, we all need to hear stories of those that were overwhelmed, but just got in there and did it! Congrats on your journey so far!

    ReplyDelete